Professional Selling Skills
Customer sophistication ... fierce competition ...commoditization ... price obsession ... complexsales cycles ... globalization ... changes in buyingbehaviors. Even in the face of these challenges,new sales opportunities are pursued and won.To capitalize on these possibilities, a salespersonmust have superior selling skills—skills that buildcustomer trust and differentiate you from yourcompetitors.
AchieveGlobal’s Professional Selling Skills® (PSS) can help you developthese skills. A research-based program, the Professional Selling Skills®program teaches selling and key interaction skills that enable you to lead mutually beneficial sales conversations with your customers—even with those who are indifferent or express concerns.
Components Support Entire Sales Organization
Professional Selling Skills® provides an effective and flexibleapproach to learning, applying, evaluating, and continuouslyimproving the skills that result in strong customer relationships.
Building on the selling skills and strategies that have
• Learn how a strategic call objective guides
Use positioning skills to ask potentially sensitive
This section also helps participants to:
Your organization will experience:
Explore how—and why it’s important—to
This section also helps participants to:
In the Closing section, participants learn to recognize when a customer is prepared to move ahead in the sales cycle. This section also helps participants to:
• Practice a three-step process for securing customer commitment to next steps in the sales cycle.
— and your organization
—apart from the competition.
These are things technology can’t do. Think. Learn. Solve problems. Listen. Motivate. Explain. People with these skills have a bright future in the 21st
AchieveGlobal prepares you for that world.
8875 Hidden River Parkway, Suite 400
Tampa, Florida 33637 USA
Toll Free: 800.456.9390
Professional Prospecting Skills
Professional Prospecting SkillsTM helps salespeople become successfulat prospecting by approaching it as a process rather than 'cold calling.'
For those in a business-to-business sales role, Professional ProspectingSkillsTM equips participants with the processes and skills needed toefficiently and effectively initiate new business relationships throughprospecting. Specifically, participants will learn a three-phase approachto prospecting—Prepare, Contact, and Assess—as well as skills, tips,and techniques that ensure effectiveness in each phase.
Module Highlights and Outcomes
In the Prepare phase, participants will learn how to prepare effectivelyfor their overall prospecting efforts, as well as for individual calls. Thisincludes helping participants to:
• Analyze the flow of business through their current businessdevelopment process to gauge their prospecting needs andsetting goals for their prospecting efforts.
• Identify prospects (if appropriate) by sourcing leads from avariety of sources and evaluating them against pre-qualifyingcriteria.• Identify the business issues prospects may be facing andclarify how they can help the prospects address such issues.
• Use research to prioritize prospecting activities and decidewhere to focus their time.
• Develop an approach for how to access hard-to-reach prospects.In the Contact phase, participants will focus on skills and techniquesthat will help them engage prospects once they have them on thephone. This includes instructing participants to:
• Create and deliver compelling information to engage prospects.• Use brief questioning techniques to exploreopportunities.
• Request action in a way that results in moreappointments.
• Qualify prospects during the call.
• Address a prospect's indifference.• Work productively with screeners.
• Use voice mail and e-mail as effectiveprospecting tools.Finally, in the Assess phase, participants will discussthe importance of assessing the results of their overallprospecting efforts on an ongoing basis. In this phase,participants will learn to:
• Utilize tools to evaluate skills use on individualcalls.• Leverage tools to measure ongoing metrics ofprospecting success.
• Learn to revisit planning tools to makecontinuous adjustments and improvements intheir approach.Professional Prospecting SkillsTM incorporates thefollowing methods of instruction:
• Individual exercises in which salespeople assesstheir current prospecting challenges.
• Video models that illustrate the use of keyskills and processes in realistic scenarios.
• Role plays in which participants practice andevaluate Core Call Skills.
• Small group and team exercises to hone skilluse and process execution.
• Written exercises that enhance participant understanding of the application of the skillsto their own prospecting situations.
Benefits of Using Professional Prospecting SkillsTMYour salespeople will:
• Increase revenues by gaining more appointmentswith the right people in clientorganizations.
• Save time by productively applying efficientresearch to their prospecting efforts.
• Engage potential clients in a way that sets thestage for future long-term businessrelationships.Your customers will:
• Benefit from prepared calls and a moresystematic approach to communication.
• Eliminate the time wasted with unpreparedsales professionals.Your organization will:
• Recognize more consistent revenue streams assalespeople improve the balance betweenaccount maintenance and businessdevelopment.
• Increase in productivity through improvedtargeting of resources and investment.
• Improve market position through an increasein new business acquisition.
Salespeople and their managers
Achieve Global training performance consultant oryour own AchieveGlobal-certified instructor
Professional Sales Coaching
Equip your sales managers and coahces with the skills and strategies they need to make a positive difference and guide their sales professionals to superior sales performance.
Research shows that one of the most critical roles a sales managerplays is in the coaching of the sales team. Even though most salesmanagers would support this assertion, few would claim they are ableto devote enough time to the practice.Sales coaching is the most direct way to impact sales team performanceProfessional Sales Coaching™ provides your sales managers and coacheswith the framework, communication skills, and planning tools theyneed to build and maintain a superior sales team—one that generatesmutually beneficial, long-term business relationships. During theworkshop, sales managers and coaches master a proven process forusing collaborative coaching conversations to build a developmentculture that creates a high-performance sales team.
They learn how:
• To describe the characteristics of a high-performance salesclimate.
• To demonstrate The Basic Principles to increase coachingeffectiveness with their sales teams.
• To evaluate sales performance using the Coaching IssuesDiagram.
• To apply a set of Skill Steps for Providing Constructive Feedback, Developing Others, andGiving Recognition to increase salespersonperformance and drive results.
• To successfully handle difficult coaching conversations.
• To use phone, voice mail, e-mail, and real-time messaging to coach salespeople effectively froma distance.
• To implement a coaching process with the salesteam.
With Professional Sales Coaching™, your sales managerswill not only create a more positive, motivational workenvironment, they’ll build a stronger, more profitablesales organization—one that wins new customers andkeeps them.
A comprehensive approach promotes effectivenessand efficiencyThere is no shortage of work facing today’s salesmanagers. Therefore, to expect sales coaching to beexecuted on a consistent basis, it must be supportedthrough skills and tools that help sales managerseasily adopt sales coaching within their dailyactivities.
Professional Sales Coaching™ addresses thisissue by advocating an approach to coaching whichleverages selling skills already familiar to salesmanagers. In addition, the program includes a widevariety of tools to help managers identify coachingopportunities and implement development strategies. These include a robust set of self-assessments, salesperformance evaluation tools, reinforcement tools, aswell as coach-the-coach components.
Benefits of Using Professional Sales Coaching™
Your sales managers will enjoy:
• A challenged and motivated sales team thatconsistently strives to produce at peak levels.
• Improved performance from salespeople whopreviously failed to meet sales goals.
• Increasingly high levels of productivity from topperformers.
• To coach to a standard using customizableassessment and evaluation tools.
• To focus their efforts on common performanceimprovement issues.
• To utilize a manager’s Resource Guide to identifypositive and negative cues associated with keys toselling success.
How to Coach
In this unit, sales managers acquire, develop, and applythe skill steps for conducting coaching conversations ina variety of situations. For example, participants learn:
• To set the stage for the coaching conversation andaction planning process.
• To utilize specific communications skills criticalto sharing insights and observations witha salesperson.• To value gaining a salesperson’s buy-in—not justcompliance—to coaching recommendations
• To leverage selling skills within a coachingconversation.
• To conduct three kinds of coaching conversations:constructive feedback, development, andrecognition.
• To handle difficult coaching conversations inwhich the salesperson is resistant.
• To coach from a distance (when the sales managerdoes not have the opportunity for face-to-facecoaching conversations) with specific process,tips, and techniques.
In the 21st century, the level of human skills willdetermine organization success. AchieveGlobalprovides exceptional development in interpersonalbusiness skills, giving companies the workforce theyneed for business results. Located in over 40countries, we offer multi-language, learning-basedsolutions—globally, regionally, and locally.
We understand the competition you face. Yoursuccess depends on people who have the skills tohandle the challenges beyond the reach oftechnology. We’re experts in developing these skills,and it’s these skills that turn your strategies intobusiness success in the 21st century.These are things technology can’t do. Think. Learn. Solve problems. Listen. Motivate. Explain.
Peoplewith these skills have a bright future in the 21stcentury. AchieveGlobal prepares you for that world.
Your salespeople will:
• Experience greater confidence in their ability tomeet—and surpass—sales goals.
• Increase sales success through coaching andreinforcement of selling skills and productknowledgeYour organization will experience:
• Reduced turnover by providing salespeople withdirection, support, and professionaldevelopment
• Systematic rather than random development ofyour sales force
• Increased success in winning new business and building customer loyalty
Module Highlights & Outcomes
The workshop consists of four units, each gearedtoward building a comprehensive understanding ofwhat it takes to be successful as a sales coach.
Why CoachParticipants explore what coaching means, why it’simportant, and what makes coaching challenging.
Specifically, participants explore:
• The challenges and rewards of improvingbusiness results by changing others’ behavior.
• Three aspects for creating a high-performancesales climate in their teams.
• Advantages and disadvantages of directive andcollaborative approaches to coaching.
• How to use The Basic Principles in order toestablish a culture of collaboration within thesales team.
What to Coach
This unit focuses on the issues and competencies that outline superior sales performance and can be used inobserving and evaluating sales team performance.
• To utilize three areas of sales call competence—product knowledge, customer knowledge, andselling skills/sales process—to evaluate individual and team behaviors.
When to Coach
The final unit within the program revolves aroundactionable coaching. Coaches review steps for coachingobservations, implementing a broad-scale coachingprocess with their team and are provided experiencewith tools for reinforcing sales skills.
• To conduct a coaching kick-off in order toinstitute formal coaching as an ongoing process
• To build long-term developmental action plans foreach individual on their sales teams
• To set action plans in motion and track theirpeople’s progress
• To observe sales calls in ways to promote focusedcoaching
• To leverage reinforcement tools to support betteruse of core selling skillsProgram SpecificationsAudienceSales managers or others in your organization with salescoaching responsibilities
AchieveGlobal training performance consultant or yourown AchieveGlobal-certified facilitator
12 to 15 participants
Winning Account Strategies
Give your salespeople the strategic edgethey need in the all-or-nothing world ofcustomer relationship management.
Today’s salespeople play a high-stakes game—accounts can be won orlost to competitors not just until the next fiscal year, but for good.Your ever-changing business climate makes long-term customerrelationships more important than ever. To develop those relation ships,your salespeople need to sell strategically. They need to under standeverything about an account. They need to utilize rigorous strategicmethods to secure business—and keep it.
That’s why they need Winning Account StrategiesTM, a brand-newworkshop designed for salespeople and managers who already possess asolid foundation in sales call skills and are ready for the next step: amore strategic approach to maximizing sales opportunities andrelationships with key customers.This dynamic workshop—validated by recent AchieveGlobal salesperformance research—teaches a five-step process for developing anaccount strategy. It introduces new concepts, tools and tactics salespeople can use to build solid, lasting customer relationships in today’s competitive marketplace.
Benefits of Winning Account StrategiesTM
• become more efficient at generating higherrevenues more quickly
• learn critical strategies and tactics foracquiring—and keeping—new business
• increase their effectiveness by becomingstrategic, knowledgeable, trusted advisors
• leverage their colleagues’ experience with realaccount situations, contributing to sales successYour customers:
• develop lasting relationships with salespeoplewho understand their business realities andchallenges
• are provided with solutions that address theirspecific organizational and personal needs• get their business issues addressed because ofthe salesperson’s focus on aligned solutionsYour organization:
• increases its success in winning new businessand maintaining customer loyalty
• decreases costs through efficient, effective,strategic use of selling time
• reinforces organizational goals through its salesstrategies
Workshop Highlights & Outcomes
With its business-issue customer focus and strategichigh-level sales approach, this dynamic two-dayworkshop provides flexible, self-customizing toolsand tactics.
• orient themselves toward a realistic, workableday-to-day account planning process
• capture key account information as thefoundation for a strategic account plan
• apply the strategic account plan process to atarget account
Experienced salespeople and their managers
Highly interactive workshopClassroom materials
Facilitator kit, wall charts
Planner, worksheets, reinforcement CD
AchieveGlobal training performance consultant oryour own AchieveGlobal-certified facilitator
• create a strategic account plan that incorporatesa customer-centered goal, account businessissues, decision makers, factors, strategy, customtools and tactics, and action steps
The highly interactive nature of Winning AccountStrategiesTM ensures all participants find the contentapplicable, relevant and easy to apply back on the job.
• incorporates self-customizing components participantscan apply to their unique account needs
• contains a variety of delivery methodologies thatwork for all learners
• utilizes participants’ own real accountknowledge and experience as they learn andapply the concepts and toolsEquipped with the tools and techniques learned in
Winning Account StrategiesTM, your salespeoplebecome more confident and competent in:
• knowing how their organization aligns withtheir customers and the competition
• gaining customer commitment
• planning and strategizing accounts
• developing, maintaining, and expanding positivecustomer relationships
• managing their time more effectively
Comments from Winning Account StrategiesTM participants:
"The sooner we get this to the field, the better. We willwalk out of this course with action items. We need to getit to the field now."
"This account planner is a living, breathing document. Itwill ultimately save time when briefing others in theorganization about my account."
"I liked 100% of this program. I wouldn't change athing."
Selling in a Competitive World
Competition is fierce. To become a trusted business advisor to your customers, you must learn to use sales skills as a strategic asset against the competition.
Consisting of advanced selling techniques, this program equipsparticipants with the ability to use The Competitive Selling Process asa strategic asset. Participants learn to use this continuous process ofanalysis and execution to assess their competitive position and thenapply that information within customer conversations.
Module Highlights and Outcomes
In The Assess Phase, participants determine what preparations needto be made before they make customer contact. This process requiresboth analytical and strategic ways of thinking. In the workshop,participants will learn to:
• Research the three domains that determine the outcome of acompetitive situation: Your Customer, Your Competitor, andYou.
This covers an assessment of:
– The situation you are trying to solve:
Circumstances, needs,and needs behind the need, which can be uncovered throughdata collection
– What you bring to the issue: All aspects of the solution, theproduct/service itself, the supplier organization, and theindividual salespersonUsing sales skills as a strategicasset against the competition.
Selling in a CompetitiveWorldTMTraining
– What you are up against:
The identity ofindirect and direct competitors, as well ashow to cull competitive intelligence toidentify potential strengths
• Compare features and benefits of their solutionagainst direct and indirect competitors in order toidentify competitive advantage and anticipatecompetitive challenges.
In The Apply Phase, salespeople use the strategiesthey develop together with their selling skills tomanage competitive selling during salesconversations. In this portion of the workshop,participants will learn to:
• Open to gain competitive advantage bystarting a conversation in a way thatdifferentiates themselves from competitors,targeting the deeper issues that drive decisions.
• Plan and execute probing strategies. This mightinvolve using probes to:
– Close information gaps that remain from
The Assess phase
– Add value to the customer (and stand outfrom the crowd)
– Create customer awareness of a need thatlinks to competitive advantage
• Support by leveraging exclusive and shared featuresand benefits. This strategy also includes dealing withconcerns that might arise when a competitorprovides information to the customer.
• Close to maximize advantage by using a carefullyconstructed value proposition to leave a lastingimpression with the customer.
AudienceExperienced sales professionals, sales managers, and their marketing and support staffs.
Professional Selling Skills® is apre-requisite for this program.
AchieveGlobal training performance consultant or yourown AchieveGlobal-certified facilitator
12 to 15 participants
Benefits of Using Selling in a CompetitiveWorldTMYour salespeople will:
• Increase their ability to succeed in competitivesituations by using analysis and sales skills in amore strategic fashion
• Shorten sales cycles by using the informationand resources at their disposal to represent thefull capabilities they bring to a customersituation, highlighting competitive advantagemore quickly and clearly
• Decrease occurrences of losing business toindirect competitors (for example, internalprojects, competing priorities)Your customers will:
• View your salespeople as Trusted Advisors whounderstand their business and the challengesthey encounter
• Increase ability to differentiate amongcompeting proposals and more quickly come todecisions and commence implementation/use
• Make more informed decisions that hinge onhow proposed solutions will progress core goalsYour organization will:
• Protect market share in a crowded marketplace
• Realize efficiencies in cost of sales (shorter salescycles, better return on sales investments through improved win ratios)
• Leverage marketing, product development, andother investments by integrating them into salesactivities and communications
Professional Sales Negotiations
Top salespeople know that no matter what themarketplace, successful negotiations are thosewhere everyone wins—the customer, theorganization, and themselves.Gaining customer commitment to a profitable business partnership
…that’s the ultimate goal of every interaction between your salespeopleand your customers. But in today’s marketplace, securing customercommitment is more challenging than ever before.Increasing competition and escalating customer demands make itdifficult for salespeople to gain acceptance of an initial sales proposal.More often than not, the salesperson is expected to negotiate or risklosing the business.
Negotiate Mutually Satisfying AgreementsTo build lasting, profitable client relationships, salespeople must beable to negotiate agreements that benefit everyone: the customer, thesalesperson, and their organization.
Professional Sales NegotiationsTM
provides your salespeople with the concepts and skills needed to steerface-to-face negotiations to a successful close. In three modules—Defining, Preparing, and Leading—the program teaches yoursalespeople how to:
• Determine which situations require selling skills versustransactional or consultative negotiation skills and when to usethese skills.
• Analyze the customer and sales points of view to gain theperspective needed to negotiate effectively.
• Reaching agreements that are compatible withtheir organizations’ needs and goals.
• Staying up-to-date on all the details andcommitments of new agreements and the stepsneeded to finalize them.Your organization will experience:
• Increased profits from giving your salespeoplethe know-how to negotiate for your organization’sprofitability, not just to close the sale.
• Shortened sales cycles by helping salespeopleconsider potential solutions before meetingwith customers.
• An enhanced image and stronger ties withcustomers by showing your salespeople how tonegotiate agreements with customers’ bestinterests in mind.
Module Highlights & OutcomesProfessional Sales NegotiationsTM is built on recent globalresearch that identified the critical factors associatedwith negotiation success today and into the future.
A two-day program, Professional Sales NegotiationsTMfocuses on three key areas:
Defining the ApproachIn this unit, sales negotiators learn the differencesbetween consultative and transactional negotiatingand how to recognize which approach should be takenin specific client situations. Participants also explorethe concept of win-win2, which defines the truemeasure of success for a sales negotiation: a salespersonwin, a sales organization win, and a customer win.
Preparing for the NegotiationOne of the conclusions of the recent research wasthat salespeople are often at a disadvantage innegotiations (particularly if they are negotiating witha professional buyer). This disadvantage arises fromthe fact that customers often prepare in greater depththan salespeople before a negotiation. As a result, asignificant portion of the Professional SalesNegotiations™ program is devoted to the salesperson’spreparation. Specifically, this includes:
Experienced sales professionals and sales managers
Reading, role play, video, group discussion, exercises
Facilitator guide, participant text, charts, videoInstruction
AchieveGlobal training performance consultant or yourown AchieveGlobal-certified facilitator
6 to 12 participants
Prior participation in face-to-face selling skills training,
2 years of selling experience, product and marketknowledge, some negotiating experience
• Timing: Using a set of criteria to determinewhen to negotiate and when to keep sellingwhen faced with customer issues over price,deliverables, and terms and conditions.
• Insight: Leveraging insight on both sides of thetable - sales and the customer. Salesprofessionals learn to analyze the players whowill be involved (styles and stakes) and theparameters that those players will work within(walk-aways, other options, must-haves, etc.)
• Strategy: Developing and evaluating a creativelist of alternatives that can be used to alter yourproposal in ways that are satisfactory to allparties involved. Specifically, includes learningthe proper use of Trade-Offs, Concessions,Enhancements, and when to Split theDifference.
• Mindset: Conducting the mental preparationrequired to approach negotiations withconfidence including frames of reference,building power through options, and preparingto handle counterproductive behaviors.
Leading the Negotiation
In the final section of the program, sales professionalslearn how to conduct the negotiation itself includingpositioning and framing the negotiation, exchangingalternatives to resolve differences, handling impasses,and securing a final agreement.Throughout the program, participants focus onplanning for their own client negotiations, brainstormingoptions with their peers, and practicingnegotiation strategies.
In the 21st century, the level of human skills willdetermine organization success. AchieveGlobalprovides exceptional development in interpersonalbusiness skills, giving companies the workforce theyneed for business results.
Located in over 40 countries, we offer multi-language, learning-basedsolutions—globally, regionally, and locally.We understand the competition you face. Yoursuccess depends on people who have the skills tohandle the challenges beyond the reach oftechnology. We’re experts in developing these skills,and it’s these skills that turn your strategies intobusiness success in the 21st century.These are things technology can’t do.
Think. Learn.Solve problems. Listen. Motivate. Explain. Peoplewith these skills have a bright future in the 21stcentury. AchieveGlobal prepares you for that world.
Professional Sales Presentations
In today’s highly competitive marketplace, it’s vital for your salespeople tomake every minute—and every communication—with customers count.Whether your objective is to showcase new ideas, sell concepts, or obtainbuy-in to your organization’s products or services, Professional SalesPresentations™provides your sales force with a dynamic, step-by-step blueprintfor building a well-conceived, customer-focused sales presentation.During this intensive two-day program, participants have the opportunity to puttheory into practice by planning and delivering a sales presentation, completewith visual aids, based on customers in their key accounts.At the end of theprogram, participants leave with immediate application of the process and skillslearned, and are well equipped to create the type of sales presentations thatadvance sales cycles, and win lasting customer commitment and support.
Benefits of Professional Sales Presentations™
• Increase their ability to move the sales cycle forward
• Strengthen relationships with customers by responding more effectivelyand creatively to their organizational needs and business issues
• Enhance their professionalism, credibility, and self-esteemYour customers:
• Develop a thorough understanding of how your products and servicesmeet their needs
• Make buying decisions based on fact rather than on high-pressuresales tactics
• Build long-term relationships with your salespeople who understandtheir business needs
• Realizes increased revenue by giving your sales forcethe skills they need to advance—and close—a sale
• Develops sales force confidence and performance byoffering salespeople a systematic way to target andaddress customer needs
• Enjoys an improved image in the eyes of customers
• Builds long-term and mutually beneficial relationshipswith customers
Program Highlights & Outcomes
Gathering and Analyzing Information
Salespeople learn to:
• Establish a realistic and observable presentationobjective
• Identify key influencers and decision makers inthe audience
• Select—and prepare to address—the most criticalaccount needsBuilding a Structure
Salespeople gain a practical approach for organizingpresentations.
They learn to:
• Target the presentation to customer needs
• Present compelling benefits of your product or service
• Develop powerful opening statements andsound transitions
• Devise a closing statement that securesaudience commitment
• Incorporate visual aids to illustrate complex conceptsto add interest and vitality
Delivering a PresentationSalespeople learn how to:
• Use eye contact and body language to theirbest advantage
• Combat pre-presentation jitters
• Turn a standard sales pitch into a compelling anddynamic presentation
• Use rhetorical devices to help customers bettervisualize what’s being said
• Isolate and correct vocal idiosyncrasies
• Anticipate—and prepare to respond to—audienceattitudes, confusion, or objections
• Involve the audience
• Leverage visual aids to add interest or relevance toa presentation
Salespeople, sales managers, and anyone who gives ordevelops sales presentations
Connections exercises, specific real-life examples, groupdiscussion, reading, presentation practice exercises,videotaping, and group and leader feedback
An AchieveGlobal training performance consultant oryour own AchieveGlobal-certified facilitator
Up to 6 participants