Dental Assistant Advanced Certification Training
To meet the changing needs of the dental industry, Houston Community College’s Coleman College for Health Sciences and Corporate College department are pleased to announce the availability of Dental Assistant Advanced Certification Training. This training addresses recent changes to the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners that now allows dental assistants to perform both Coronal Polishing and Pit and Fissure Sealant procedures.
Because these skills are not part of most dental assistants’ basic training, the TSBDE requires that dental assistants be trained and certified in each of these skills before providing the services in the dental setting. It is estimated that there are 10,000 – 15,000 dental assistants in the Greater Houston Area.
HCC is offering intensive eight hour Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) accredited courses in three areas:
- Coronal Polishing
- Pit and Fissure Sealants and
- Nitrous Oxide
These courses meet the continuing education requirements associated with certification for Dental Assistants under the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners (TSBDE).
- To qualify, a participant must have at least two years of experience as a dental assistant.
- Classes can take place at HCC (1900 Pressler in the Medical Center), or at your facility (for group of 10 or more).
There are two ways to enroll:
- Center for Healthcare Professionals — Individual students can register for scheduled courses held at HCC Coleman College in the Dental Hygiene Clinic.
- HCC Corporate College — Dental offices/clinics can host a class for 10 or more students at their facility.
- For more information, email email@example.com, call 713.718.5455.
Coronal Polishing and Pit & Fissure Sealant Certification Preparation
- Meet the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners’ (TSBDE) requirements for eight (8) hours of clinical and didactic education in preparation for certification
- Are taught by experienced college faculty from a Texas CODA-Accredited Program of theADA
- Have no more than five (5) students per faculty to ensure individualized hands-on instruction (exceeds CODA’s 6:1 required ratio for clinical practice)
- Are taught in state-of-the-art clinic facilities and equipment (when held at Coleman College)
- Provide turn-key course delivery on-site at your office/clinic (when provided by HCC Corporate College)
- Contact Hours:
- Each course includes 8 mandatory hours of lecture and clinic practice.
Students must have two (2) years of experience as a dental assistant, as required by the TSBDE. Upon successful completion of the course, students will receive a certificate of completion to be submitted with their application for certification to the TSBDE.
- Books Required:
All handouts are provided.
Both courses include lecture and hands-on clinical practice with students working on each other. Students must wear proper clinical attire and bring their own PPE and slow-speed hand piece. For pit & fissure course only, students must obtain a DDS diagnosis and approval to receive sealants, and bring that documentation to class.
Registration Options for Courses:
Option 1: Customized Training - HCC Corporate College
For dental offices/clinics with 10 to 15 dental assistants needing the course(s) at one time. HCC Corporate College can bring the training to your office/clinic for your employees. Cost to be determined through a customized training agreement.
For more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 713.718.5304.
Option 2: Open Enrollment - Center for Healthcare Professionals at HCC Coleman College
For the individual student who would like to register for a pre-scheduled course held at HCC Coleman College(1900 Pressler in theTexas Medical Center) in the Dental Hygiene Clinic. Courses are available on Saturdays and weekday evenings.