Health Insurance Requirements and Waiver
All students holding an F-1 visa and registered for a minimum of 9 credit hours will be automatically enrolled in and charged the premium for the Houston Community College International Student Health Insurance Plan* each semester to satisfy the College policy about maintaining acceptable health insurance coverage, unless coverage under the Plan is waived by the applicable waiver deadline.
For detailed information about your insurance plan, visit the HCC International F-1 Student Insurance Home Page.
- print insurance ID card
- download a copy of the HCC International Health Insurance Plan Brochure
Health Insurance Customer Service
AIG offices are open:
- Monday - Thursday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM EST
- Friday: 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Customer Service Number: 1-877-657-5030
* AIG has a translator service. If you need help in other languages, just ask.
Health Insurance Waiver A waiver of coverage under the Plan may be requested online at http://www.studentinsurance.com/Apps/Schools/Default.aspx?ID=322 (click on “Waive”) with proof of acceptable alternate health insurance as follows:
I. Acceptable Alternate Health Insurance Plans:
- A government or scholarship sponsored plan that meets Houston Community College’s waiver criteria; or
- A job-based employer health insurance plan (or covered as a dependent under a job-based employer health insurance plan).
Note: individual policies (example: Plans offered online to individuals) are not considered acceptable alternate insurance and will not be accepted.
II. Waiver Criteria: Alternate health insurance plans must offer coverage that is comparable to or greater than the following criteria:
- Coverage dates must include the entire coverage period you are waiving;
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 in US dollars for each accident or sickness;
- Policy must have an annual deductible of no more than U.S. $500 (A Health Care Spending account is not acceptable as an alternative);
- Covered benefits paid at a minimum of 75%;
- Repatriation of Mortal Remains of at least $7,500 in US dollars and Medical Evacuation of at least $10,000 in US dollars. (A nominal charge will be added to your student account for Repatriation and Medical Evacuation benefits if they are not included in an otherwise acceptable policy); and
- Policy should not exclude or unreasonably limit coverage for activities essential for students (such as a $10,000 limit on motor vehicle accidents; a 13 week benefit period).
III. Waiver Deadlines
- For Fall 2016: September 19, 2016
- For Spring/Summer 2017: February 13, 2017
- For Summer 2017 Only (new students): June 15, 2017
IV. Waiver Process
- Fill out the online waiver form. (click the "Waive" link on the left).
- When you receive the waiver approval email, you should forward it to Gwen.Drumgoole@hccs.edu and copy email@example.com with subject “Waiver approved.” Make sure to include your student ID and the semester.
V. Waiver Appeal Deadlines:
- For Fall 2016: October 7, 2016
- For Spring/Summer 2017: February 20, 2017
- For Summer 2017 Only (new students): June 12, 2017
VI. Waiver Appeal Process
If your waiver was denied based on the denied criteria, you may appeal the denial. Please see the document below for more instructions.
VII. Reimbursement Process
If you are approved for a waiver or if you don't meet the eligibility requirements for coverage, your account will be reimbursed according to HCC refund policy.
Disclaimer: Acceptance of your waiver does not constitute a guarantee that your alternate health insurance plan will adequately cover any medical situation that may arise or that it is a “good” plan. An acceptance only recognizes that an Insurance Waiver Application stating that you have alternate coverage which meets the Houston Community College’s waiver criteria was received from you. Further, you agree to be responsible for advising the Houston Community College Risk Management Department or AIG, Educational Markets (firstname.lastname@example.org) in writing of any lapses or cancellation of your current policy during the semester for which you enrolled.
*Insurance underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, Pa., with its principal place of business in New York, NY.