Types of Work Study

Work Study is an important source of financial aid. Opportunities are available at all campus sites year round or off-campus through participating community service organizations.

A student is awarded work study if they indicate on the FAFSA that they are interested in the work study program. All degree and eligible certificate programs are eligible. Work study awards are based upon eligibility and the availability of funds.

There are two (2) types of work-study that can be awarded to a student:

1. Federal Work Study Award- This award may be granted to students that are Residents or non-residents of the State of Texas, however will depend on the funding source.

2. Texas Work Study Award-This award differs from the Federal Work study award, in that it is restricted only, to residents of the State of Texas and to those enrolled in at least half-time (6 credit hours) enrollment.

Work Study Testimonial

About Work Study

Eligibility requirements per term


To be eligible for work study at HCC, you must meet these requirements each term:

  • Be a degree-seeking student or enrolled in an eligible certificate program.
  • Be enrolled in at least six credit hours throughout the term of employment. Audit classes do not count.
  • Must not owe a repayment or be in default under any state or federal grant or loan program.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Pass HCC background check.

Application process

  1. Apply for work-study by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). There is an option stating if you would like to be considered for work-study. Respond to the question, if you meet eligibility requirements and funds are available, you will be notified of an award.
  2. Apply for positions through on-line source.
  3. Interview with employers.
  4. Employer will notify Financial Aid of selected candidate.
  5. Receive an email to submit additional information.
  6. Receive an email to accept offer of position.
  7. Your information is sent for background check.
  8. Complete on-boarding online.
  9. Submit I-9 paperwork to Human Resources.
  10. Supervisor will contact you to begin working once they receive approval. 

* Missing documents will result in a delayed start date.

Interview Tips



  • Remember first impressions matter
  • Most positions are business casual (no jeans, tights, etc.)
  • No flashy jewelry, makeup, or heavy perfume/cologne
  • Cover or remove any all body art


  • Arrive 10-15 minutes early
  • Remember to adjust for traffic, etc


  • Have questions ready


  • Employers watch for non-verbal cues during the interview. Be sure to give a firm handshake, sit up straight, provide eye contact, and SMILE (during appropriate time, of course).



Job availability

  1. All students are responsible for securing employment.
  2. All student employment positions are advertised on the Financial Aid Work-Study page.  Job listings are posted until filled.
  3. Once a student has identified a position of interest he/she may begin the interview process.
  4. Each job listing will contain a detailed job description, the hiring supervisor’s name, phone number and email address.
  5. Students must contact the hiring department to ask questions and secure employment.
  6. Students should be prepared to interview with the hiring manager.

Work hours and salary

  • Approved students can work up to 19.5 hours per week.
  • On-campus- $9.50 per hour/ Off-campus Community Service- $10.00 per hour.
  • The Work-Study Program is considered a type of part-time employment and you can not exceed 19.5 hours per week.
  • Work-Study participants are paid on a semi-monthly basis.
  • Students are awarded funds based on their financial need but are only paid for hours worked. Any unearned funds at the end of the program term are forfeited.

Pay Period



Employer Request Information for 2015-2016

On–Campus and Off-Campus forms will be available starting May 30, 2015.

We will be accepting Employer Request for On-Campus and Participation Agreements for Off-Campus for  Fall/Spring 2015-2016 Financial Aid Award year beginning February 1, 2015 and ending February 1, 2016.

To become a work-study employer (supervisor) and employ student workers, you must meet the following conditions:

  • Be full-time employee at Houston Community College (cannot be a student worker)
  • Must have a PeopleSoft identification number
  • Must attend Employer Work-Study Orientation
  • Must complete all Supervisor Forms
    • Compliance in Partnership Form
  • Must email a Work-Study Job Request Form in its original format

If you would like to employ work-study students, please complete and submit the original signed forms to the Work-Study Office.

 All forms must be typed, printed out and signed accordingly.  Only emailed Work-Study Job Request Forms will be accepted.  No scanned copies.

Requesting a Work-Study Student

To request a work-study student, please follow the steps below.

  1. Complete the Work-Study Job Request Form. Incomplete forms will not be accepted and will be sent back to the supervisor to complete.
  2. Once the position has been posted, the supervisor will be notified via email. The student may go online and view open positions on the Work-Study Job Board.  The student will select a job for details and contact the supervisor for an interview.  The student must bring his/her award letter as proof that a work-study award has been accepted on the job interview.
  3. The supervisor interviews the student.
  4.  The student schedules an appointment to attend a Work-Study Orientation session.  This is mandatory for all students and supervisors each year.  Supervisors are required to complete orientation prior to hiring student work-study students each year.
  5. The student completes all work-study forms prior to orientation.
  6. The job posting is removed once an email request has been received by the work-study coordinator (Christina Brown).
  7. The student may not begin working until the supervisor has a "Ready to Work" email from the work-study coordinator or the Human Resource Department.

Frequently Asked Questions


What is work-study? There are two types of work-study. Federal Work-Study is federally funded and TX Work-Study is funded by the State of Texas. Both are financial aid programs that enable students to earn money (like a part-time job) toward college expenses by working on campus or off campus through approve nonprofit agencies serving the community.

How do I know if I have a work-study award? Review your financial aid offer on http://www.hccs.edu/district/students/financialaid/view-financial-aid-status/. An offer of Federal Work-Study or TX Work-Study must be accepted if you would like to work on or off campus.

What does my Work-Study dollar amount mean? If your financial aid package includes the initial maximum of $5,500 in Work-Study, that is the total amount you can earn in a Work-Study position. Your financial aid offer splits it into $2,750 fall and $2,750 spring but you can earn up to your maximum eligibility anytime during the aid year.

Can I keep working if I'm not enrolled or graduate? If you withdraw, are dismissed, or graduate, you cannot continue in a Work-Study position. It ends on the last day of your enrollment. If an employer wants to retain your services, your earnings must be paid out of the department or agencies payroll budget. You must notify your employer of you have a change in enrollment.

If I don't work do I have to give the money back? Since you don't receive the money until you earn it, and you can't earn it without having a Work-Study job, there is no money to give back.

Can I receive FWS if it is not part of my financial aid award package? If you are interested in Work-Study and you have completed the financial aid application process, please visit with the financial aid office for an evaluation of your eligibility for work-study funds. Do not inquire until you have received a financial aid package.

How much do on-campus positions pay? On-campus positions students will make $9.50 an hour.

How much do off-campus positions pay? Off-campus jobs students will make $10.00 an hour.

Will I receive benefits? No, work-study students are not eligible for paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, or medical and dental insurance through their work-study job.

Can I collect Unemployment if my Work-Study position is terminated or eliminated? Work-Study is a form of financial assistance and the college does not pay into unemployment for the funds received. Therefore, unemployment cannot be claimed against funding received from a work-study job.


For additional information, contact: 

Southeast  - Jamaah Tyler  jamaah.tyler@hccs.edu

Central and South Campus – Arlen Montemayor arlen.montemayor@hccs.edu

Northline and Codwell - Deedra Grant deedra.grant@hccs.edu

West Loop and Coleman – Tammy Anderson tammy.anderson1@hccs.edu

Stafford and Alief – Shanetta Burke shanetta.burke@hccs.edu

Spring Branch and Katy- James Dixon james.dixon@hccs.edu