Accelerated Teacher Certification Program (ATCP)
The Accelerated Teacher Certification Program at Houston Community College is a state-approved comprehensive educator preparation program that trains individuals for Texas standard certification in elementary and secondary education. Houston Community College — Accelerated Teacher Certification Program is accredited by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) and Texas Education Agency (TEA).
About the Accelerated Teacher Certification Program
- 319 clock-hours of coursework and/or training
- 30 clock-hours of field-based experience
- 6-12 clock-hours of test preparation
- TExES exams
- Internship for one academic year
The HCC Accelerated Teacher Certification Program is dedicated to:
- Preparing individuals for Texas standard certification
- Engaging all students in an understanding of teaching and its role in education
- Offering high quality instruction, training and mentorship to ACP students
- Serving the education community as a resource and initiative for collaboration between the ACP, students, Region IV area schools including independent school districts, charter, private and parochial
- Introducing the community to the Accelerated Teacher Certification Program at Houston Community College
Certificate areas that are offered
- Bilingual Generalist (EC-6 or 4-8)
- Bilingual Education Supplemental-Spanish (Grades NA: Not a stand alone certificate)
- Bilingual Generalist-Spanish (Grades EC-6)
- English as a Second Language/Generalist (Grades EC-6)
- English as a Second Language Supplemental (Grades NA: Not a stand alone certificate)
- English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- Generalist (Grades EC-6)
- Generalist (Grades 4-8) Life Science (Grades 7-12)
- Mathematics (Grades 4-8)
- Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
- Physical Science (Grades 6-12)
- Science (Grades 4-8) Science (Grades 7-12)
- Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- Special Education (Grades EC-12)
- Application Fee (non-refundable): $75
- Tuition: $3,900
- Books (approximate): $300-400
- TExES Exam: $120 per exam
- Fingerprint Identification (Criminal History Background Check fee): $39.50-42.25
- Fingerprint Processing: $9.95
- Probationary Certificate Fee: $52
- Standard Certificate Fee: $77
- Total program cost varies according to certificate.
Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
Prepares individuals with the skills and practices to be an effective classroom teacher.
- Hybrid Training (in-person and online)
- Small Class Sizes
- Financial Assistance Available
- Scholarship Opportunities Paid One-Year Internship
- Mentor Support
Please see the Continuing Education Financial Aid Website for any available scholarships or grants approved for the Accelerated Teacher Certification Program.
Individuals may qualify for the following:
- HCC Foundation Workforce Scholarship
- Applicants must have a 2.5 GPA.
- Must complete the scholarship application online at https://www.hccsfoundation.org/workforceschlp
- An essay is required
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov
- Click here for flyer.
- Applicants must be seeking Mathematics, Science, Special Education, or Bilingual Generalist teacher certification.
- To request an Individual Referral/Cost Obligation Form email Yessenia Cruz at email@example.com with your name, number, HCC ID or Date of Birth with last 4-digits of Social Security No., the area of certification seeking, and the term applying for.
- To apply visit the Workforce Solutions Website for more information.
Information session/ dates and times
To learn more about Houston Community College’s Accelerated Teacher Certification Program, join us at one of our free information sessions for an overview of how the program prepares teachers for their certification.
Topics to be covered:
- Program overview
- Training schedule
- Scholarship opportunities
- Paid internships
Attendees will receive a $75 Application Fee Waiver.
Please RSVP by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the date and time of the session you would like to attend and receive the meeting location on the Central Campus.
- Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
- Saturday, April 18, 2015, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
- Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
- Saturday, June 27, 2015, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
- Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
- Saturday, July 18, 2015, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
- Texas Education Agency/State Board for Educator Certification
- Educational Testing Service
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
- THEA (Texas Higher Education Assessment)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- TExES (Texas Examinations of Educator Standards)
- TCERT (TExES Certification Exam Review for Teachers)
Educator’s Code of Ethics
There are 37,022 Elementary School Teachers, 17,949 Middle School Teachers, and 23,670 High School Teachers employed in the Greater Houston Area . These number are expected to increase by 18.9% over the next four years.
- The estimated annual job openings is 2826 Elementary, 1,349 Middle School and 1,845 High School jobs a year.
- Median Wages - $24.98 hourly, $52,000 annually.