Accelerated Teacher Certification Program (ATCP)
The Accelerated Teacher Certification Program at Houston Community College is a state-approved comprehensive educator preparation program that trains individuals for Texas standard certification in elementary and secondary education. Houston Community College — Accelerated Teacher Certification Program is accredited by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) and Texas Education Agency (TEA).
About the Accelerated Teacher Certification Program
The program prepares individuals with the skills and practices to be an effective classroom teacher.
- 319 clock-hours of coursework and/or training,
- 30 clock-hours of field-based experience,
- 6-12 clock-hours of test preparation, and
- One academic year (2 semester) supervised clinical experience completed as an internship as a teacher-of-record at a public, charter or any school accredited by the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
- Hybrid Training (in-person and online)
- Small Class Sizes
- Financial Assistance Available
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Paid One-Year Internship
- Mentor Support
There are 37,022 Elementary School Teachers, 17,949 Middle School Teachers, and 23,670 High School Teachers employed in the Greater Houston Area . These number are expected to increase by 18.9% over the next four years.
- The estimated annual job openings is 2826 Elementary, 1,349 Middle School and 1,845 High School jobs a year.
- Median Wages - $24.98 hourly, $52,000 annually.
- Bilingual Generalist-Spanish (EC-6)*
- Core Subjects (EC-6)
- Generalist (EC-6)*
- English as a Second Language/Generalist (EC-6)*
- Core Subjects (4-8)
- Generalist (4-8)*
- English Language Arts & Reading/Social Studies (4-8)
- Mathematics (4-8)
- Science (4-8)
- Social Studies (4-8)
High School/Secondary Grade Levels
- Life Science (7-12)
- Mathematics (7-12)
- Physical Science (6-12)
- Science (7-12)
- Special Education (EC-12)
Supplemental (Not standalone certificates)
- Bilingual Education Supplemental-Spanish
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Supplemental
*Certificates are scheduled for deletion. Last date to pass content exam(s) is August 31, 2015. Last date to complete all program requirements (including internship) is August 31, 2017.
How much does the program cost?
Application Fee (non-refundable)
ACP Tuition (installment plan available)
TExES Content Exam
TExES Pedagogy Exam
Probationary Certificate Fee
Criminal History Background Check fee
Standard Certificate Fee
What are the prerequisites?
Click here to begin the admissions progress.
Even though you think you might not qualify, applying for financial aid and/or scholarships may help determine what resources are available to assist you with your educational goals.
Please see the Continuing Education Financial Aid Website for any available scholarships or grants approved for the Accelerated Teacher Certification Program.
Individuals may qualify for the following:
- HCC Foundation Workforce Scholarship
- Pell Grant Experiment
- Troops to Teachers
- Workforce Solutions
Applicants must be seeking Mathematics, Science, Special Education, or Bilingual teacher certificationTo request an Individual Referral/Cost Obligation Form, submit your name, phone number, HCC Student ID, the area of certification, and term applying for to email@example.com.
Information session/ dates and times
To learn more about Houston Community College’s Accelerated Teacher Certification Program, join us at one of our free information sessions for an overview of how the program prepares teachers for their certification.
Topics to be covered:
- Program overview
- Training schedule
- Scholarship opportunities
- Paid internships
Please RSVP by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the date and time of the session you would like to attend and receive the meeting location on the Central Campus.
- Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
- Saturday, July 18, 2015, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
- Educational Testing Service
- Pre-Admission Content Tests (PACT)
- TCERT (TExES Certification Exam Review for Teachers)
- Texas Education Agency(TEA)/State Board for Educator Certification(SBEC)
- Texas Educator's Code of Ethics (Texas Administrative Code)
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (Texas Education Agency)
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
- TExES (Texas Examinations of Educator Standards)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
Educator Preparation Training
The program offers an alternative route to certification that allows you to teach while completing the requirements.
- ACP 1000 Accelerated Teacher Certification Program -54 hrs
- ACP 2000 Teacher Certification II-54 hrs
- ACP 3000 Teacher Certification III-54 hrs
- ACP 4000 Teacher Certification IV-54 hrs
- ACP 1001 Human Growth & Development-16 hrs
- ACP 1002 Curriculum & Instruction-17 hrs
- ACP 1003 Assessment-16 hrs
- ACP 1004 Critical Thinking-10 hrs
- ACP 1005 Special Populations and Student Motivation-12 hrs
- ACP 1006 Classroom Management-12 hrs
- ACP 1007 Schools, Parents, and Communities-10 hrs
- ACP 1008 Teaching in Texas-10 hrs
- Field-Based Experience-30 hrs
- Test Preparation (6 hrs per exam)-6 hrs
- Internship I-One Semester
- Internship II-One Semester
Total: 355 hrs