Accelerated Teacher Certification Program (ATCP)
The Accelerated Teacher Certification Program (ATCP) at Houston Community College is a state-approved comprehensive educator preparation program that trains individuals for Texas standard certification in elementary and secondary education.
Certification is achieved through successful completeion of training, state exams and teaching internships. The program is approximately 18-24 months to complete.
Training will reflect the state teacher proficiencies and TExES competencies. HCC's ATCP has created an individualized program to meet the needs of each content or certificate area.
About the Accelerated Teacher Certification Program
- 319 clock hours of coursework and/or training
- 30 clock hours of field-based experience
- 6-12 clock hours of test preparation
- TExES exams
- Internship for one academic year
During the second phase of the program, teachers will be employed full-time and supported by continuing professional development education. A mentoring program based on the TxBESS standards will also be provided throughout the school year.
The HCC Accelerated Teacher Certification Program is dedicated to:
- Preparing individuals for Texas standard certification
- Engaging all students in an understanding of teaching and its role in education
- Offering high quality instruction, training and mentorship to ACP students
- Serving the education community as a resource and initiative for collaboration between the ACP, students, Region IV area schools including independent school districts, charter, private and parochial
- Introducing the community to the Accelerated Teacher Certification Program at Houston Community College
Certificate areas that are offered:
- Bilingual Education Supplemental-Spanish (Grades NA: Not a standalone certificate)
- Bilingual Generalist-Spanish (Grades EC-6)
- English as a Second Language/Generalist (Grades EC-6)
- English as a Second Language Supplemental (Grades NA: Not a standalone certificate)
- English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- Generalist (Grades EC-6)
- Generalist (Grades 4-8)
- Life Science (Grades 7-12)
- Mathematics (Grades 4-8)
- Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
- Physical Science (Grades 6-12)
- Science (Grades 4-8)
- Science (Grades 7-12)
- Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- Special Education (Grades EC-12)
Please see the Continuing Education Financial Aid Website for any available scholarships or grants approved for the Accelerated Teacher Certification Program.
Individuals may qualify for the following:
- HCC Foundation Workforce Scholarship
- Applicants must have a 2.5 GPA.
- Must complete the scholarship application online at https://www.hccsfoundation.org/workforceschlp
- An essay is required
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov
- Click here for flyer.
- Workforce Solutions Scholarship
- Applicants must be seeking Mathematics, Science, Special Education, or Bilingual Generalist teacher certification.
- To request an Individual Referral/Cost Obligation Form email Yessenia Cruz at email@example.com with your name, number, HCC ID or Date of Birth with last 4-digits of Social Security No., the area of certification seeking, and the term applying for.
- To apply visit the Workforce Solutions Website for more information.
- Troops to Teachers
- A federally funded program designed to assist retiring and separating military veterans to become teachers.
- Visit the Texas Troops to Teachers Website for more information.
Information Session/ Dates and Times:
- Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 3:00 PM – 4:30 PM
- Wednesday, September 17, 2014, 3:00 PM – 4:30 PM
To learn more about Houston Community College’s Accelerated Teacher Certification Program, join us at one of our free information sessions for an overview of how the program prepares teachers for their certification.
Topics to be covered:
- Program overview
- Training schedule
- Scholarship opportunities
- Paid internships
Attendees will receive a $75 Application Fee Waiver.
Please RSVP by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the meeting location on the Central Campus.
- State Agencies
- Testing Materials
- Educator’s Code of Ethics
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (Texas Education Agency)